newest from the cafe gratitude family – gracias madre provides organic, vegan mexican cuisine to the people of the mish. i have to say, coming into this i was a bit skeptical. what would they give me? 5 plates of chips and guac with a side of beans? i was wrong. in fact, i left thinking about how genius the usage of their ingredients was. the cashew “cheese” that they use is almost better than cheese, is that sacrilegious?
– house made ginger ale (this was incredibly strong but worth the try)
– sweet potato and caramelized onion quesadilla folded into tortillas with cashew nacho cheese and pumpkin seed salsa (hooooly crap – best thing in the meal)
– gorditas or grilled potato-masa cakes topped with warm salsa verde, avocado, and cashew cream (tasted like a fried potato pancake with everything good on top, but it wasn’t fried)
– chilaquiles sauteed in a spicy salsa roja. topped with avocado, cilantro, cashew crema and onions, served with black beans (aka nachos)
– one taco with sauteed kale and one taco with roasted poblano chilies and onions (the kale was weird but great, my sister loved the chilies)
– spicy mole enchiladas topped with mushrooms and cashew cheese, served with sauteed greens and beans (this a little bit looked like poop, which made it hard to eat – i’ll leave it at that)
on a scale of one to ten, i would absolutely go back, even hungover.