my love for faux science experiments has caused me to lose a little self-control recently. jam is also the easiest word for play on words, so why not? yesterday i was jammin, i hope you like jammin too… because, i jammed two into one day. both of which i created myself and are highly adaptable. if you change these, just make sure there is the same amount of solids as there are liquids. things to keep in mind: apples melt.
jam numero uno. kiwi. bold, sweet, tangy, delicious. makes about 3 jars.
12 kiwis, halved, and cut into 6 pieces each
less than 1/2 cup pineapple juice
1/8 cup fresh lemon juice and a pinch of lemon zest
1 apple, unpeeled and quartered
2 cups white sugar
1. in a large saucepan combine all ingredients except the sugar and bring to a boil.
2. once the ingredients have come to boil, add the sugar.
3. reduce heat to a large simmer for 45 minutes.
4. once the jam has thickened (it will thicken more as it cools), remove the apples (the pectin necessary for the jam has been removed via the boil), and pour into your jars.
strawberry vanilla goodness (takes a day or so). this has more of the consistency of syrup. not as viscous as the kiwi jam. good on sandos (but what isn’t), cheese, ice cream, basically anything. makes about 3 jars as well.
1 quart strawberries or 4 cups chopped strawberries
2 cups white sugar
1 lemon, juiced
2.5 vanilla beans, split and scraped
1. combine the strawberries with 1 cup of sugar and the vanilla beans/seeds in a large bowl. let sit for 1-2 days.
2. pour the strawberry combo in a large saucepan with the remaining 1 cup of sugar.
3. let it simmer for 20 minutes, add lemon juice, and let simmer for 5 more minutes.
4. let the jam settle for 10 minutes and then pour into jars.
naturally, my friends and i had to pair a cocktail with our urban picnic. a friend of mine brought over a bottle of bachelor ben’s evolve wine (prettay shocked to hear he is still with courtney – brilliant bitch). only it wasn’t evolve brand, it was his second brand aka terrible. we took the bull by its horns, poured sparkling water over it, squeezed some lemon juice and ole! a star is born.
we paired the jams with our spritzers, a baguette, soft french cow cheese, some dry jack cheese, and had ourselves a meal with chris harrison. you can do it too.