did you know the incans were the first to cultivate quinoa? they believed that it increased their warriors’ stamina and improved recovery time. a true, ancient superfood.
just in case you are unfamiliar with quinoa (yikes) – it is a healthy protein source that is high in fiber, iron, and calcium. it is a great source of manganese and copper – minerals that act as antioxidants in your body to get rid of cancer and disease-causing substances. it also contains magnesium; known to help relax muscles, blood vessels, and blood pressure. it is essential on any dieters daily menu.
ingredients include: garam masala, sea salt, toasted almond slivers, chives, quinoa, golden raisins, sesame oil, celery, and bell peppers.
my toshi, patiently waiting.
2 cups quinoa (rinsed)
4 cups water
2 teaspoons garam masala
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 cup golden raisins
1 tablespoon sesame oil
3 stalks celery, finely diced
1 red bell pepper, finely diced
5 whole green onions, sliced diagonally
1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted (toast for 5-8 minutes on 350°F)
1. heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the quinoa. stir constantly for 10 minutes or until the moisture has evaporated and the quinoa is dry and fragrant.
2. in a saucepan combine 3 cups of water, 1 teaspoon of the garam masala, and the salt – bring to a boil over high heat. add the toasted quinoa and decrease the heat to medium-low to simmer (without stirring and covered with a lid) for 15 minutes – or until the liquid has evaporated and the quinoa is tender.
3. meanwhile, bring 1 cup of water to a simmer in a small saucepan. remove from heat, and add the raisins. leave to soak for 20 minutes and then drain well.
4. heat the sesame oil in a large skillet over medium heat. add the celery, bell pepper, and 1 teaspoon garam masala. saute for 2 minutes or until the veggies are crisp-tender. add the green onions and saute 1 minute longer, or until just wilted.
5. gently toss it all together, refridgerate until cold – and you got yourself a fancy ass picnic meal!
*adapted from real food daily – great blog. check ‘er out.