i am always looking for new snacks (i love snacking), this is a great replacement for the spicy hummus in my fridge. the ingredients combined create a creamy, salty, spicy, sweet, fresh taste. if you’ve never had a warm avocado mash, the time has come – it’s a party in your mouth. it’s also kind of pretty… just saying.
adapted from super natural everyday by heidi swanson
2 ripe avocados
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 cup fresh, chopped cilantro
1 tablespoon extra virgin coconut oil (butter works too if you aren’t vegan)
1 teaspoon dark mustard seeds
1 small onion
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 teaspoon garam masala or curry powder
1 small jalapeno, minced
1. in a small bowl mix: avocado, lemon juice, salt, and cilantro – mash.
2. heat the oil/butter in a skillet over medium-high heat.
3. when it is hot, add the mustard seeds. use a lid for this step – the mustard seeds will pop and scatter when they hit the hot oil.
4. when spattering stops, stir in the onion and saute until the onion is translucent.
5. stir in the garlic, curry powder, and jalapeno. stir for 30 seconds, and then remove from heat.
6. combine hot ingredients with avocado mixture and serve!