my family is pretty unconvential. for christmas dinners we make the least traditional meals: chinese food, indian, sushi..etc. last year, we had a potluck and i was in charge of the appetizer. i chose this salad and it was a hit. a detrimental hit. everyone had so much of it, we couldn’t eat our main course. it is very friggin tasty.
fried goat cheese patties with a citrus-shallot vinagrette over avocado, oranges, grapefruit, and arugula.
cutting the rind off so the outside looks prettay.
cutting the segments out. to segment a citrus slice off the top and bottom of the fruit. then, working from the top to bottom, slice off the rind and bitter white pith. separate each fruit segment from the membrane by slipping a paring knife between the fruit segment and the membrane.
fried goat cheese, citrus, & avocado salad from two dudes one pan
1 8-ounce goat cheese log
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 large egg
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
1/2 cup canola oil
2 navel oranges
1 pink grapefruit
1 small shallot, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon sugar
2 tablespoons canola oiil
1 tablepoon extra-virgin olive oil
salt and freshly ground pepper
2 cups arugula
2 avocados, pitted and thinly sliced
1. create 4 rounds using the goat cheese.
2. place flour, egg + a bit of water, and panko into bowls. dip cheese in respective order.
3. place on a plate and refrigerate.
1. remove the orange and grapefruit segments from their membrane, working over a bowl to catch their juices.
2. in a separate bowl, add the shallot, sugar, oils, and 3 tablespoons of the citrus juices. season to taste with salt and pepper.
3. divide the arugula, avocadoes, oranges, and grapefruit onto 4 plates.
4. heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and add the breaded goat cheese rounds. cook until golden brown on both sides, about 4 minutes total.
5. drizzle the salads with citrus dressing and top each with the cheese.