week of plums – check! it’s been a super delicious but sweet week at my house. i love plums, but we need to take a break. right? last night i made two pizzas.
pizzas aren’t super healthy but they are easy. if i have yeast or dough in the house and extra vegetables that are going bad i just sprinkle some of those badboys onto the dough with cheese and/or pasta sauce and i have myself an easy meal. countless possibilities and interpretations.
as always, thank you for tuning in and being great – you guys are pretty. it’s the freakin weekend.
plum pizza: 1 sliced plum, fresh mozzarella, goat cheese, basil, prosciutto, and arugula to top after cooking.
arugula pizza: 4 stocks of asparagus sliced in half, 1/4 cup of peas, fresh mozzarella, goat cheese, my white sauce, balsamic reduction, and a fresh egg to top (drop the egg onto the pizza 2 minutes before it is done cooking or cook until whites are just cooked).
*balsamic reduction tastes like a sweeter version of its mother, vinegar. to make it – boil a cup of balsamic for 10 minutes until it has reached the thickness you want.
pizza dough adapted from lauren’s latest
makes 2 – 12″ pizzas
1 cup warm water
2 1/4 teaspoons of active dry yeast (or 1 packet)
1 tablespoon honey/sugar
2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 cups whole wheat flour
1. in a mixing bowl, stir honey and yeast into warm water. let sit for 5-10 minutes or until yeast begins to bubble.
2. add salt, oil, and half the flour to the mix. slowly add more flour until it is tacky but doesn’t stick to your hands.
3. after you have achieved this in the dough, turn on the mixer to knead for 6 minutes. the dough should be smooth, easy to work with, and the bowl should be clean.
4. slightly grease the dough and the bowl with some remaining oil to keep it from drying out.
5. let sit for 1-2 hours, covered with foil or plastic wrap.
6. for pizza: shape dough into desired shape, sprinkle cornmeal on the underside of it, heat oven at 450°f, put 2 pans upside down to heat with the oven, top your pizza with toppings of your choice, place pizzas on hot pans, and cook for 15-20 minutes.
1/2 cup heavy cream
4 tablespoons butter
2 garlic cloves
2 tablespoons flour
salt and pepper to taste
1. bring cream, butter, and cloves to a simmer until reduced – about 8 minutes.
2. add flour to thicken for the pizza. this can also be used as an alfredo sauce – don’t add flour for this.
3. season to taste.
my last plum hoorah. plum sundae. straus family vanilla ice cream (best ice cream in the world – i’m having an affair with it), plums, hot caramel. yowza.