last night darren and i were feeling real crafty. a few weeks ago i bought the necessary ingredients to make my own mozzarella (i was particularly interested in cutting the cheese) as well as replacement screens for my shattered iphone. last night was the night.
the finished cheese product.
darren playing iphone operation. had to keep track of each step, this was within the first 15 minutes. it took him about 1.5 hours. thanks d$, you’re the best.
making the cheese was much easier than expected. these were the two ingredients i couldn’t find at the store, i ordered them on amazon for a few bucks.
1 gallon cold milk
1 1/4 teaspoon citric acid powder
1/4 cup cool water
1/4 teaspoon liquid vegetable rennet, disolved in 1 cup cool water
1-2 teaspoons salt
1. in a large pot sprinkle citric acid and 1/4 cup water. mix until dissolved.
2. pour the entire gallon of cold milk into the citric acid mixture and heat over low-medium heat until the milk reaches 90°f.
3. pour the rennet solution into the milk and stir in an up and down motion for 30 seconds. cover and leave for 5 minutes.
4. check the milk for a clean break, should resemble a custard.
5. cut the custard into a 1-inch checkered pattern making sure to cut all the way through to the bottom of the pan.
6. return the pot to the burner, stirring very gently, until the milk reaches 105°f – careful! this happens quickly.
7. use a slotted spoon to transfer the curds to a colander lined with cheese cloth (or a very sturdy paper towel OR a coffee filter). i put my colander over a bowl to catch the juices so that i could store my cheese in it. make sure to squeeze the juices out of the curds.
8. transfer the curds to a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 1 minute. drain the whey (liquids that come off the cheese) and squeeze the curds again to get out any remaining liquids. microwave another 30 seconds.
9. drain the whey again, sprinkle with salt, and knead the cheese until it becomes a smooth-stretchy texture (this took me about 7 minutes of kneading).
10. drop into an ice bath. eat when cold.
i added a drizzle of olive oil and drenched it in balsamic. salt and pepper necessary with the tomatoes and basil.
got hungry in the middle of making the cheese and thought i’d share. processed a peach, olive oil, water, salt, pepper, and some basil to make a funky/new dressing. collard greens. purple carrots.